The Student Financial Services website will become part of a new and redesigned Bursar website. Projected completion date is beginning of July 2017. Stay tuned!

Skip Top Navigation


External Awards/Scholarships

Organizations, agencies and donors offer scholarship opportunities to students who demonstrate scholastic merit or meet other specific eligibility criteria.

The entity awarding the scholarship, not Penn State, is responsible for selecting the candidate and determining the value of the award.

Disbursement Information

As soon as you receive an award check, send it to our office so it can be reflected on your tuition bill. Students typically receive a letter of notification about a scholarship or award prior to receiving the funds. Please retain these letters for your records and contact your awarding orgranization to send funds to Penn State.

Our office enters awards as promptly as possible and in the order received. Your tuition bill will reflect the award once the funds have been received and processed by our office. Due to heavy volume during the months of July, August, November, and December, it can take a few weeks for the award to appear on your tuition bill. The earlier you submit checks, the more likely your award will be reflected on your initial bill.

If a check is made payable to you and Penn State, please be sure to endorse the check before sending it to us. Also, include your name and PSU ID on the memo line. If a check is not endorsed properly, University Park students will receive an email notifying them that their check needs to be signed at 103 Shields Building. We will send all other checks to your commonwealth campus and they will notify you. This may delay the posting of the award to your student account. If an awarding entity sends a check directly to our office that needs to be endorsed, we will follow the same procedures as stated above.

You will be responsible for the balance of your bill for your registration to be complete. A refund will be issued for any credit balance.

Mail or fax scholarship award letter(s) and/or check(s) to:

Student Financial Services
Attn: Outside Scholarships
109 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: 814-865-6535

Awards and Invoices/Third Party Contracts

Some awarding entities require us to send an invoice before they provide us with payment. This is normally true for school districts paying for their teachers and military reimbursement programs.

To ensure the timely processing of these invoices, please mail or fax all necessary paperwork to:

Student Financial Services
Attn: Outside Scholarships
109 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: 814-865-6535
More Information about Outside Scholarships
Office of Student Aid

University Scholarships

Students may receive university scholarships to be used towards the payment of their educational costs.

More Information about University Scholarships
University Scholarships


Because funds are limited, many students are not awarded grants or scholarships and must use loans to cover educational expenses. Loans are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest. Undergraduate and graduate students, as well as parents of undergraduate students, may apply for loans.

Our office is responsible for:

  • Posting loans into the student account
  • Notifying borrowers of each loan disbursement
  • Returning loan funds to the lender in collaboration with the Office of Student Aid

Below are the different types of loans our office posts:

  • Federal Perkins
  • Federal Direct Stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS
  • Private Alternative
More Information about Loans
Office of Student Aid


A grant is gift aid that does not have to be repaid. Grants are awarded based on financial need, enrollment status, family contribution, and cost of attendance. Grant recipients must maintain certain eligibility requirements in order to retain the grant.

The most common grants disbursed by our office are:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Pennsylvania State Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
More Information about Grants
Office of Student Aid

Military Aid

Note: World Campus students should visit

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

To use FTA benefits, you should contact your military education center.

If applying for FTA through GoArmyEd, select "Penn State University (All but World Campus)"� as your school.

Once your FTA is approved, you must provide a copy of the authorization to Student Financial Services at:

Pennsylvania State University
Student Financial Services
Military Funding
109 Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: 814-865-6535

Educational Assistance Program (EAP)

National Guard members may be eligible for additional funding from their state. Contact your education center for more information regarding this benefit.

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Veterans may use Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to cover all or part of their education expenses. If you are a student interested in using your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, please contact the Office of Veterans Programs.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Pennsylvania State University is proud to be a participant in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Yellow Ribbon Program. Please contact the Office of Veterans Programs for additional information regarding this program.

529 Plans

Most states have a College Savings Plan, such as the Pennsylvania 529 College Savings Program, that will send funds to Penn State after you provide them a copy of your tuition bill.

Student Financial Services does not request funds from College Savings Plans. To ensure funds arrive in a timely manner, follow all instructions provided by your College Savings Plan. If the payment will satisfy the balance in full, your attendance will be confirmed when the funds are received.


Authorization to Hold a Federal Student Aid Credit Balance Form

Use this form to authorize credit balances from Title IV funds to be held on student account for use against future charges. This is completely voluntary, and the student can opt out of this authorization at any time. The form must be signed by the student to authorize the hold of a credit balance-for a credit balanace resulting from a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan, the parent borrower must sign.